New KNL Newsgroup
Kayak Newfoundland And Labrador
2008-03-24 23:21:29 UTC
I am sure all are aware of the recent issues regarding spammers as
well as other nuisances on this newsgroup. Sadly over the years that
the newsgroup has been in existence the account that gives us the
ability to monitor postings(delete postings, ban people from posting)
has been lost. As this is the case the board has decided to create a
new newsgroup. Here is the new newsgroup address:

http://groups.google.com/group/kayak-newfoundland-and-labrador

I would ask all recent posters to please post their messages to the
new address. The old newsgroup will no longer be used effective today.
Peter Armitage
2008-03-25 00:02:56 UTC
I have to wonder about the wisdom behind the executive's decision to
create a new newsgroup listing. We'll be creating new groups on an
annual basis as soon as the spammers find the new groups. Any
estimates as to how much time it will take for the spammers to get to
the new group?

I do not find the existing spam to be intolerable, especially since
the nutter from the UK has disappeared.

Peter A.
Alex McGruer
2008-03-25 02:59:34 UTC
Post by Peter Armitage
annual basis as soon as the spammers find the new groups. Any
estimates as to how much time it will take for the spammers to get to
the new group?
I do not find the existing spam to be intolerable, especially since
the nutter from the UK has disappeared.
Peter A.
I kind of concur but with a new group we will have pass codes and a
moderator that can ban certain spammers.
The problem with the unfortunate nut case in the UK that M I 6 agent
007 and his buddies were torturing, is he used different email
addresses. That guy and most other spammers use random addresses and
repeat the behavior.
With access codes Tony can keep the nonsense down at least a little.
Alex
Kayak Newfoundland And Labrador
2008-03-25 09:04:59 UTC
Post by Peter Armitage
annual basis as soon as the spammers find the new groups. Any
estimates as to how much time it will take for the spammers to get to
the new group?
I do not find the existing spam to be intolerable, especially since
the nutter from the UK has disappeared.
Peter A.
I kind of concur but with a new group we will have pass codes and a
moderator that can ban certain spammers.
The problem with the unfortunate nut case in the UK that M I 6 agent
007 and his buddies were torturing, is he used different email
addresses. That guy and most other spammers use random addresses and
repeat the behavior.
With access codes Tony can keep the nonsense down at least a little.
Alex
Peter did you see the most recent posters content?? It was actually
some kiddie porn!!! I think that in itself is a good reason to want
some sort of control over whats posted on our newsgroup. At least now
we have the ability to delete these postings and ban the poster. I
think it was a great decision to create a new newsgroup and I am quite
sure now that we have the account to contol our newsgroup there will
never be a reason to create another.
m***@hotmail.com
2008-03-25 11:50:11 UTC
Has there been any consideration of setting up a discussion forum on
the KNL website? A discussion forum would allow the ability to:

-Create various subject areas (i.e. trip reports, gear, safety,
partners, etc).
-Assign moderators to control the content
-Ability to upload pictures
-Ability to remove users if there are any problems
-Ability to lock certain sections of the forum to registered users

This seems to be the norm these days on group related websites and I
believe it is a free download. For example take a look at the
discussion forum on www.clubtread.com

Mark
TonyLee
2008-03-25 15:50:30 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Has there been any consideration of setting up a discussion forum on
-Create various subject areas (i.e. trip reports, gear, safety,
partners, etc).
-Assign moderators to control the content
-Ability to upload pictures
-Ability to remove users if there are any problems
-Ability to lock certain sections of the forum to registered users
This seems to be the norm these days on group related websites and I
believe it is a free download. For example take a look at the
discussion forum onwww.clubtread.com
Mark
The newsgroup was and is being used strictly as a discussion forum. We
now have the ability to moderate postings and remove users as well as
the ability to lock out sections but not from this old newsgroup, the
new group address:

http://groups.google.com/group/kayak-newfoundland-and-labrador
Peter Armitage
2008-03-25 19:39:49 UTC
It's obvious that such postings are spam from the headings, and in
such cases I don't ever open them. I hope none of you ever have to
confront Pandora's box - the lid will be off of 'er in a nano-
second... In any case, it's no big deal going to a new newsgroup, and
I like the idea of having a moderator. That's a good initiative.

Tony, will you update the link off of the KNL drop-down menu?

Peter A.
Kayak Newfoundland And Labrador
2008-03-25 20:01:10 UTC
Post by Peter Armitage
It's obvious that such postings are spam from the headings, and in
such cases I don't ever open them. I hope none of you ever have to
confront Pandora's box - the lid will be off of 'er in a nano-
second... In any case, it's no big deal going to a new newsgroup, and
I like the idea of having a moderator. That's a good initiative.
Tony, will you update the link off of the KNL drop-down menu?
Peter A.
The link has already been updated to the new newsgroup. I also agree
with you Peter about not opening such links but sadly not all will do
the same, in any event we will not have to worry about that on the new
newsgroup.
Graham Openshaw
2008-04-02 11:23:56 UTC
I am perplexed and dissappointed at the strange decision to change
from one archeaic newsgroup to another of the same vintage and lack of
functionality.

The key problem with this type of group is the lack of access control.
This group does nothing to address that so we have given up all of the
group history to provide no more than a temporary respite from spam -
very odd.
something as incredibly simple as a Yahoo group (five minutes to set
up) would provide the following as an absolute minimum:

Full user and access control (easy to administer)
An image library
Unlimited databases and lists
A calendar
document posting
Hyperlink posting
Layout control

It is not too late to redirect this effort to something far more
useful. I would be happy to help and set this up.

Lets make this a step up not a step sideways.

Graham