Risk...adventure tourism
paddlehands
2008-03-04 15:43:42 UTC
Here is a neat article on risk taking. I got this from the Quixotica
blog. Worth a look considering recent discussion.

Paddle safe and often,

hopefully in non-shark chummed waters......or maybe in chummed.....

here is the link

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1718951,00.html

Stan
Alex McGruer
2008-03-04 20:34:40 UTC
We get the odd shark here. Terry Prim and I managed to chum one in by
accident in Flatrock a few years back. At 6 or 7 feet he was not what
we expected as we dragged in our 15 cod.
Squidink
2008-03-04 23:40:07 UTC
I'm trying to figure out the functioning brain of someone who'd
consider diving sans cage while feeding killer sharks. Call me a
whoos, but I'd rather play hopskotch blindfolded in a potholed black-
iced George Street on the morning following St. Paddy's day than toss
a brisket in front of several layers of sharpened great whites.
Alex McGruer
2008-03-05 03:22:23 UTC
Darwin at work.
Of course there is the Run Of The Bulls, Base jumping and people
chasing whales around the Cape Broyle headland: So who knows LOL.

But seriously, these folks ar not well.
Squidink
2008-03-05 03:57:02 UTC
Of course there is ...people
Sure, that's healthy exercise :)
Shark diving in the skinnies, we're talking loony bin suicide wannabe
crackpots.
Squidink
2008-03-05 17:26:28 UTC
But having said all that.... there is a local company looking at shark
diving as a tourism venture. And it does sound exciting. And I doubt
they'll be dealing with the same type of sharks (basking, I hope)...
b***@hotmail.com
2008-03-05 19:19:55 UTC
According to the documentary "Sharkwater", sharks aren't dangerous;
seems like it might be a bit of misinformation in that film. The
reason I say that is 70% of it is footage of Paul Watson and his
nonsense...........whole other topic.......non paddling related so
I'll stop it right there.
Alex McGruer
2008-03-06 03:49:54 UTC
I doubt
Post by Squidink
they'll be dealing with the same type of sharks (basking, I hope)...
We have some interesting sharks ,porbeagle, Tiger, Mako, great white,
that 7 foot thing that buzzed us. We have some little grey beggars
(dog fish) they are actually grey shark.
And we have basking shark.
There is only one I would be comfortable paddling with.
Squidink
2008-03-06 18:24:50 UTC
 I doubt> they'll be dealing with the same type of sharks (basking, I hope)...
We have some interesting sharks ,porbeagle, Tiger, Mako, great white,
that 7 foot thing that buzzed us. We have some little grey beggars
(dog fish) they are actually grey shark.
And we have basking shark.
There is only one I would be comfortable paddling with.
and I dare say we don't usually stop to ask name and serial number of
the well-endowed toothsome species. as always, paddle fast, good
forward stroke. stay on top of the wave.